Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Lovers

Have you ever thought of the comparison between us, God's children, and Hosea's wife, the adulteress? Let me begin with scripture:
'When the Lord began to speak through Hosea, the Lord said to him, "Go, take to yourself an adulterous wife and children of unfaithfulness, because the land is guilty of the vilest adultery in departing from the Lord.'" Hosea 1:2.
If you look at the book of Hosea, he was told to marry Gomer, an adulterous woman. Night after night, she would go to the beds of her lovers, wear their jewellery and indulge herself in false idols. God tells Hosea to rebuke her and punish her soundly which he does, but then, God does something tremendous, 'The Lord said to me, "Go, show your love to your wife again, though she loved by another and is an adulteress. Love her as the Lord loves the Israelites, though they turn to other gods and love the sacred raisin cakes."' Hosea 3:1.
And I realize that it's hard to fathom this kind of love, even if we know it. You all will read this little paragraph and know it but not really understand it to its full potential which we never can do because we, as humans, aren't really capable of it. So, I encourage you to do a small exercise for me to get a good idea. I'm going to use a boyfriend/girlfriend scenario because I am well aware that most who read my blog have known insane love from a significant other as well as expressed it.
Think hard; how do you love that person? Is it so great that the thought of never having them around makes your heart weep with wanting, does seeing them make you smile without thought, or captures your breath? Does their kiss ignite something inside you that you can't quite place even though it vibrates through your entire body? If you answered yes, then take comfort in this, so did God! He proclaims to be our bride groom and he does such an impeccable job of it! In fact, multipy your love by at least one hundred and that might, just bight be equal to God's love for you and me.
I realize that you may have though that I was talking about redemption for a bit, but no, I'm only talking about love. Plain and simple, is God's undying and perfect love. The entire book, Song of Songs is full of his example and written is such poetry, that how can we not read it and fall in love with God?
He says, 'Like a lily among thorns, is my darling among the maidens.' Song of Songs 2:2. Isn't that exquisite? We're the lily among the thorns! If your significant other had said that to us, would we not blush or cry or do something equally emotional? When I think of God speaking that to me like a lover, I don't blush per say, but I get shivers all over. It's amazing.
'Your lips are like a scarlet ribbon; your mouth is lovely. Your temples behind your veil are like the halves of a pomegranate. Your neck is like the tower of David, built with elegance, on it hang a thousand shields of warriors.' Song of Songs 4:3&4.
I think that if we make up our minds to accomplish one goal with God this week, it is to look at him as our lover; the lover of our soul. Speak to him as such and love him as such and see what a difference that makes. I can't wait to hear what you all have learned from seeing Jesus as your bride groom. God Bless.

2 comments:

jannafaye said...

word.

he's the lover of your soul, spiritual baby, do you know?

anyhoo...the pomegranate thing makes me think of mister pen, but yeah, i love it - its hard to keep God as your first love sometimes though. thats one of my biggest challeneges. man, Jesus rocks my world, I feel happy right now.

Lol i'll go away now...

Jadis said...

Don't worry, the pomegranate thing makes me think of Mr. Pen too but yay! Jesus...and it is so hard to put him first.