Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Night To Remember



The crowd is amazingly loud and the room is filled with cigarette smoke and a slight hum from the last remnants of the opening band when a loud boom sounds through the bar and Spaceship Superstar begins to play. Four figures cut through the chatter and emerge onstage....Gary, Tim, Steve-O and Al Harlow. And the concert begins.
Yes, indeed, my friends, Cass and I just got back from seeing the one and only Prism and it was FREAKING AMAZING!!! They played all our favourites....Spaceship Superstar, Flying, Take me Away, See Forever Eyes, Virginia, Cover Girl, Night to Remember, Take me to the Kaptin, Armageddon. It was all there and yes, they are coming out with a brand new album this year! They sang a song from it based on an experience with a girl from the Calgary Stampede last year.
And, before they sang 'Cover Girl' they were like, this is based on a friend of our from Vancouver who went to L.A. and became a playboy girl and was beaten to death by her jealous husband and this is one of the lines:
Five years in eighteen months
She got everything all at once
She moved out that's when he moved in
Cover Girl it's such a damn waste
You were more than just a pretty face
I never thought I'd never see you again
And I turned to Cass and was like, this song means so much more when you know where it came from!
And Al Harlow (the lead singer) has these awesome huge white shades and big hair and tight pants and a leopard print muscle shirt. He's so cool and Steve-O is the guitarist slash wicked keyboardist and he kept looking at us and he played a riff to us and they came and did their solos in front of us. And just before their encore, they were toasting and I clinked my glass with Steve-O and we drank. It was awesome! And Gary played the best drum solo ever!
I'm so sad it's over, but Cass and I took pictures and we got pictures of us with Steve-O and he put his arm around us and it was also amazing because he's totally amazing. Cass and I got in the car and squealed like highschoolers. It was terrific. And, there will be pictures as soon as we get them developed, I promise, because you'll all be jealous of us and Steve-O.
Next August ladies, Lethbridge will be the place to be. It's so incredible seeing someone so close and in concert that you used to pretend to be when you were little. At one time, we were bouncing around singing along to flying and then, we were living it. It was crazy.
So, I bid you a wonderful night because I had the best night ever. Love and peace,
Al

3 comments:

jannafaye said...

PRISM!!!! I AM SO JEALOUS!!! THAT IS AMAZING!!!
I'm going to learn to play "its over" on the piano some day...
you guys deserved to go...

Big Mac mama said...

Janna, you stole my words, my freaking goodness I envy you guys! Prism! You are so lucky! I'm glad you had a good time, you should post the rest of your pics!

Kathen said...

Oh, now I don't just feel old, I feel elderly.

I saw Prism's "Freeze Your Ass Off" Tour. I think it was '78 or '79. Yikes.

Aren't they great?!