Monday, February 12, 2007

Weird Ramblings

Okay, so life is funny and all around weird. It's Janna's birthday today (this isn't the weird part or the funny part; it's just a prelude) and I actually remembered which is the funny part because I sadly haven't really communicated with my SSS in a long time. I had made up my mind to call her and sing 'Happy Birthday' to her lastnight but before I went to do it today, I got really nervous, which is the weird part. My stomach was all butterflies and do you all want to know why?
Well, even if you don't, I'm telling you.
It was because I hadn't talked to her in so long that I was nervous...maybe she didn't even want to hear from me; maybe even if she thought she wanted to hear from me, it would be all awkward and once the birthday wishes were bestowed, we'd have nothing to talk about. The fact that the girl that was once my all time best friend might not have anything to say to me and vice versa, terrified me. But...I called her anyways.
And, she answered the phone and I sang my little heart out, followed by 'it's Al by the way'. And she got excited (which I'm hoping she wasn't faining) and we did indeed talk without awkwardness. It was good and nostalgic and a little sad.
Because (and I'm directing this to you, my SSS) God has indeed kept us connected through memories and heart but we're so distant. I felt sad because I don't know what's going on in Janna's life or if she still loves cheese or if she still spits when she talks or if she remembers when we made her try and be quiet for an entire lunch hour and she failed. And I don't know what's going on in Sarah's life and if she still has a computer chair in her house covered in her beloved dog's hair or what color her hair is next week or if she remembers when we were doing 'Get Another Boyfriend' as a lip sync and she was sick and came in to perform it with us anyways. And I don't know what's going on in Brynne's life and what she's taking in school, and how often she battles her curls to go straight and if she remembers when we went over to her house before the school dance in Shoal Lake and waxed our legs and armpits and I broke into a rash.
It's sad when my best friends on the planet; that shared a lot of my best years with me and went through a lot of growing with me, grow without me and make new best friends and have best years without me. I know I have done the same and I have cherished every moment of it; I truely have...but today was a day for mourning and rejoicing.
I mourn because of distance and time and I rejoice because maybe that distance and time hasn't quite eaten up the SSS. This may be just my thought but I'd like to think that we can muster up our friendships. Janna, our conversation meant alot to me today and I'd like to talk to you again; Brynne, Sarah, I would love to talk to you guys too.
And, as Janna has found out, I will indeed be in Manitoba on August 17th. I want to see you all. I love you and Happy Birthday my dear Janna Banana.

3 comments:

Brynne said...

Oh Al, hugglebun! It's not a big deal that you don't know what I'm taking in school, because I don't really know either.
Lol, the curls pretty much get left alone most of the time, and of course I remember waxing legs and armpits in my room! We waxed Janna's while she was on the phone with Henk.

jannafaye said...

that was painful and awkward as i recall.
fun times!
life seemed so simple then, now that i look back on it. my how things change, and the places God takes you...
i definitly feel like i dont know anyone anymore either. sigh.

Anonymous said...

Ah dear sister it has been a while since I viewed your page and still I find it to be one of amazing insight and talent. To think you know yourself at such a young age and to love that person is just TOTALLY amazing. It took me years to find myself and finally at age __ (you know it) I have found myself and love this person. People I know, who have met you, always get the impression of an older wiser young lady than you are and are all amazed by you. Keep up the knitting and the full commitment to GOD, He will always be there for you. Now one night you and Dave and Kim and I must go bowling.